Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Wish For 2012

2012....wow. The year kiddo will turn double digits. And my final chance to enjoy my thirties! What will 2012 bring? Excitement I'm sure. But challenges too and I wonder what kind of animal that will be.

I find myself watching kiddo furtively these days. He's at that age where he gets a little embarrassed if I stare at him lovingly for too long. Sometimes he seems so very, very grown up all of a sudden. And sometimes, he's still such a little thing (especially when he's in his jammies lol). He still says the darndest things. Still cracks me up. And still infuriates me too.

I also find that my memory of his younger years is improving. There are so many things I'd forgotten that I suddenly remember now. Sometimes, I cringe about something harsh or stupid I said or did. Mostly, I'm thankful for the time I've had to watch him grow up to be the good kid he is.

If you are a parent of a younger child, who is often anxious and rushing from one thing to another trying to get it all done, just like I tend to, now is the time to stop and take a deep breath and slow down. And remember all those moments when you were both happy. Truly happy. Hold on to that thought. Aspire to achieve that happiness again and again.

Nothing else...curriculum, schedules, classes, school, social opportunities, fame, fortune...nothing else (except safety and good health) is as important.

I'm past making resolutions. But I will make a wish. Oh, please let me give him a truly happy childhood. One that will make moments when I lose it and do the things I shouldn't irrelevant. One with memories he will cling on to and hold precious and draw strength from when he needs it the most.

Happy New Year everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Your wish has me sitting here in tears. It's what I want for my boys too, of course. Thanks for putting it so succinctly into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie (hugs!), you're so welcome. I need to tell myself things like often. Otherwise, it's so easy for me to forget what's important. Hope you have a wonderful new year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thought provoking post. I love your wish, and I wish it for my own children. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully put! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post! May your wish come true for your family and for every family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jill, Maria and Shreyes/ Bindu! Now I have to write it on my mirror every morning so I'll remember it all year through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fabulous wish! Because it let's us know that we are not alone in losing it every now and then and it reminds us of what we hope for. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You write beautifully Suji, simple and brilliant at the same time. Happy new year to you! I'm pretty sure you've created a lot of fond memories and special moments. Hopefully our children will remember only the good ones:-)
    arthi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Ingi and Arthi! :) Hope you guys have a fabulous 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and I will approve your comment as soon as I can. Thanks for taking the time to write a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...