Monday, April 16, 2012

The Backyard Pond Project


The landscaping project I'd blogged about here (more than a year ago) is finally coming to fruition. The boys have been making several trips to Home Depot over two days for a pond liner, retaining wall tiles, marble chips, and various other bits and pieces.

Kiddo received some good hands-on training in calculating the area of the uneven space, purchasing suitable materials, and keeping track of the budget. He also worked hard at digging (he had to clear the existing pebbles first, which is blister-inducing work I tell you!) and building and fortifying the low retaining wall.

I was as usual in charge of refreshments, offering suggestions on the aesthetics and basically poking my nose a bit here and there for show. To my credit, I have been pottering about in the front yard, wrestling with and trying to train a rather thorny rose bush (and proudly sporting scratches too) so I left most of the heavy lifting to the boys.

Anyway, the project is slowly taking shape and looking quite pretty. Part II will involve figuring out some way to access a power outlet for a water fountain. The last guy we consulted probably decided we could sacrifice the three meals we depend on. We need another contractor who will take a little pity on us. I hope we find one by next year!

The Backyard Pond Project series of posts: Part I, Part II and Part III.

6 comments:

  1. Very cool. Looks like the pond is coming along. It's hard to find a good tradesman who charges honestly for the work he does. It's the same here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is looking so great! Can't wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. I'll post photos of Part II when it happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how it's shaping up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know, The last comment was by me, aka, Preeti. For some reason, I'm showing up as Anonymous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guessed it might be you Preeti. :) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and I will approve your comment as soon as I can. Thanks for taking the time to write a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...