Thursday, May 20, 2010

Funny Books For Summer Reading

I'm hoping to add even more giggles and mirth to our home this summer with this list of great-sounding titles. I'm very indebted to my wonderful fellow Secular CM Yahoo Group friends for their suggestions.

Books we've read or are reading that are great for laughs:
1. Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem by Jack Prelutsky
2. Life of Fred's very quirky math stories (the only curriculum-ish book I can think of that is a hoot so far)
3. Cartoon History of the Universe 1 Vol. 1-7 (Cartoon History of the Universe) (Pt.1) and others in series by Larry Gonick
4. Kings and Things by HE Marshall
5. Horrible Histories, Science, Geography and Murderous Maths series
6. The Great Brain by John Fitzgerald
7. Roald Dahl's children's books (we haven't read a number of these yet so a great reminder for me, Becky!)
8. Detectives in Togas and other Ancient Rome stories by Henry Winterfield
9. Asterix the Gaul comics
10. Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater

And suggested by others:
1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
2. Barry Boyhound by Andy Spearman
3. Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones and other DWJ books
4. The Wee Free Men and
5. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
6. The Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall
7. Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry et al
8. The Dot and the Line: A Romance in Lower Mathematics by Norton Juster
9. The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts and
10. Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck
11. I Was a Rat! and
12. The Scarecrow and His Servant by Philip Pullman
13. The Adventures of Tintin series
14. The Water Horse by Dick King-Smith
15. A House Called Awful End series by Philip Ardagh

For older readers,
1. Books by David Sedaris
2. Books by Bill Bryson
And Becky, list moderator of the yahoo group, suggested I check out Funny Business: Conversations with Writers of Comedy compiled by Leonard Marcus for more ideas.

Lots of thanks again for these suggestions!

4 comments:

  1. I'd saved the SCM daily digests and was planning on sorting through them and compiling a list of those books...but you've saved me the trouble...now I can go paint! Woo-hoo! Thanks, Suji. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm glad it's helpful Michelle :) I didn't include all the books suggested though...only those I thought the kiddo would be most likely to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone has more titles to suggest please share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suji -- Some titles that get great big laughs here are the Wayside School series by Louis Sacher and Pippi Longstocking. These books are read over and over again, always a good sign IMHO. ;-) -- Jane A.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and I will approve your comment as soon as I can. Thanks for taking the time to write a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...